Students from Truman’s Forensics Union competed at the Gateway Swing IE tournament at Webster University in St. Louis, Missouri, Dec. 4-5.
Team members excelled in their respective events leading to a team victory on both days of the swing tournament, which led to an overall swing team victory. At this tournament, students who entered into at least four speech categories across all three speech genres were entered into a special quadrathon sweepstakes.
Placements on day one of the swing were as follows:
- Freshman Hannah Spainhour received top novice in prose interpretation
- Sophomores Jillian Humke and Larissa Wratney earned first place in duo interpretation
- Wratney also earned second place in dramatic interpretation
- Sophomore Ella Schnake placed third in dramatic interpretation, second in impromptu speaking and first in prose
- Sophomore Megan Ford placed sixth in prose, fourth in informative speaking and third in persuasion
- Junior Maya Krump earned third place in informative speaking, second place in persuasion and third place in quadrathon sweepstakes
- Senior Kayla Gerlt earned fourth in extemporaneous speaking and dramatic interpretation, third in after dinner speaking and prose, second in informative speaking and was tournament champion in quadrathon sweepstakes
- The team also received first place overall
Placements on day two of the swing were as follows:
- Humke and Wratney placed first in duo
- Wratney also earned first place in dramatic interpretation
- Ford placed fourth in info and third in persuasion
- Schnake placed second in prose and dramatic interpretation and first in impromptu
- Krump received fifth place in prose, second place in persuasion and info and second in quadrathon
- Gerlt placed fourth in after dinner speaking and dramatic interpretation, third in prose and extemporaneous, first in info and tournament champion in quadrathon sweepstakes
- The team again earned first place overall
Any students interested in joining the Forensics Union should contact Craig Hennigan at email@example.com or Ben Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.