Six students from Truman’s Forensics Union competed at the Pi Kappa Delta Biennial National Tournament & Convention in Orlando, Florida. This tournament hosted 69 schools across the nation with more than 1,000 entries. Top superior awards were given to the top three competitors. Superior awards were given to the top 10% in a field, and excellence awards were awarded to the next top 20%. In addition, three of the team members were selected to showcase their events in front of the convention.
Individual placements are as follows:
- Senior Jackson Elder placed third in persuasion where he was awarded top superior. He earned superior distinction in extemporaneous speaking and was selected to perform in the limited prep showcase. Elder acquired excellence in impromptu speaking, broadcast journalism and interviewing.
- Senior Kayla Gerlt was awarded excellence in after dinner speaking, duo interpretation, extemporaneous speaking and prose.
- Sophomore Jillian Humke was awarded superior in after dinner speaking and was selected to perform in the after dinner speaking/communication analysis showcase.
- Sophomore Ella Schnake was the national champion in interviewing and impromptu speaking. She was selected to perform her impromptu in the showcase of champions. Schnake was awarded superior in dramatic interpretation and prose, and excellence in program oral interpretation and duo interpretation.
- Sophomore Alicia Stout was a quarterfinalist in Lincoln-Douglas Debate and IPDA Debate
Team placements are as follows:
- Individual Sweepstakes – Excellence (8th out of 61 schools)
- Debate Sweepstakes – Good (24th out of 63 schools)
- Overall Sweepstakes – Good (24th place out of 69 schools)